Friday, December 17, 2010

[Review] Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Publication: 4th January 2010 (UK)
Publisher: Penguin UK
Source: For review, thanks Penguin!
Age: 16+, there's some . . . sexual scenes. And some violence and serious themes addressed.
Pages: 400
My Rating:

Blurb:
AMY HAS LEFT THE LIFE SHE LOVES FOR A WORLD 300 YEARS AWAY

Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone.

Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her; and more if she'll let him.

But who can she trust amidst the secrets and lies? A killer is out there – and Amy has nowhere to hide . . .
My thoughts: 


Thankfully both authors are totally rockin' and messaged back. :)

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Who doesn't love a novel that is absolutely plagued with mystery all throughout, leaving its readers guessing right until its thrilling and shocking conclusion? Who can resist a book that introduces readers to a strong base of characters that are hard not to love?

Holy Frex. I am once again left speechless. Across the Universe Blew. Me. Away.

First off, let me just thank Beth Revis for writing AtU, and Penguin Australia & Razorbill for publishing it. Never before would I have believed that I could actually fall in love with a novel that is classified as a sci-fi! But there it is.

Over a week has passed since my reading it, so I'll write a wrap-up of my thoughts in dot-point form.

Positives
  • Perspectives
    Across the Universe is written in dual perspectives: Amy and Elders'. Both main characters' stories and backgrounds are enunciated and explored. :)
  • The CharactersThese characters, and all others, have heart. They are so, so different to what I'm used to, but they all have qualities that somehow I can reach towards. I was akin to their intentions and their feelings.
    • Amy: a seventeen year old girl from 300 years before this novel takes place, and has been frozen along with her parents on Godspeed. She has red hair, fair skin and green eyes. 
    • Elder: the one next in waiting to be ruler of the people on the ship. He is sixteen, and like the rest of the population, has dark skin and hair. He is impulsive and adventurous, unlike Eldest. 
    • Eldest: current ruler of the ship. Shrouded in a dark past, Eldest has a lot he is hiding from Elder. 
    • Harley: "mentally ill" for being a free-thinker. He's an amazing artist, and I just loved him. 
  • Pageturner
    At 400 pages, this one is a doozy, but I got through to the end rather quickly.
  • Romantic
    Not even just the one between Elder and Amy. There is even capital 'R' Romantic in Across the Universe. The olden time Romantic. And I think it is this quality that I will be looking for in the future when trying to find more sci-fi YA novels. 
  • Beautifully written  

Negatives
  • The wait
    Revis hasn't even announced the second novel's release date. :(

Beth sure has me waiting on edge for the next book. This is going to be HUGE when it hits stores in early January!
    Quotes:

    "What can I tell them about Earth? How can I describe how the air smells different, how the earth feels richer, how you yourself are different, just from knowing the entire world is at your disposal? Should I start with the mountains always hidden in clouds and snow--or do they even know what those words mean: cloud, and snow, and mountain? I could tell them about the different kinds of rain, pouring rain that 's perfect for when you want to stay inside and watch a movie or read, or piercing rain that feels like needles in your skin, or soft summer rain, that makes your first kiss with your first love all the sweeter.
    They look at me eagerly, wanting to hear about the planer I called home.
    I begin with the sky." (pg. 152)

    Buy:

    Live in Australia?
    Fishpond | Readings | Dymocks | Angus & Robertson | Borders | The Nile

    Live elsewhere?
    Amazon | The Book Depository

    I have received this review copy in return for an honest review.

    Series:


    Not yet announced.

    Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge

    Other Reviews:
    • "...from now on I will watch Beth with anticipation."
      - Misty
      (5 stars)
    • "Across the Universe is such an amazing and original read that I can’t praise enough"
      -
      Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life (5 stars)
    • "Across the Universe is a book that you will get lost in and completely forget about the rest of the world. Utterly captivating."
      - Nic, Irresistable Reads (5 stars)
    • "Across The Universe is full of twists and turns, which made for an unpredictable plot and a fantastic ending!"
      - Mundie Moms (4.5 stars)
    • "‘Across the Universe’ is a dystopian sci-fi romance extravaganza. . . epic and beautiful"
      - ALPHA Reader (5 stars)

    I'd love to read your reviews! Leave a comment with a link to your review and I'll add it to the list. ;)

    Learn more about Across the Universe and read more reviews at Goodreads


    Related Posts with Thumbnails