Sunday, November 6, 2011

Finally read Tomorrow, When the War Began!


I just finished reading the book last night, and about 20 minutes afterward I re-watched the film adaptation. Just brilliance - a new kind of appreciation and love for the series and movie just spawned because of my having read the book. I was a bit too young (the first book came out the year I was born, so...) to read the books the first time around, back in its hey-day, but it's still so relevant and it doesn't feel dated at all.

This post will serve as a 'review' on the blog. I'm not sure how long it will be, but I'll just ramble on and add whatever I want to it. I'm sure you've heard of it already, so I don't feel the need to provide a review when either you've read it, want to read it, or you watched the movie or whatever.

TOMORROW, WHEN THE WAR BEGAN has got nearly everything - action, adventure, romance, comedy, drama. There's more added comedy in the movie - little things like when Homer shakes it like Beyonce, or when Chris is telling his story of events. Overall I preferred the book, but they both complement each other - fans of the books will love the movie! Not too many changes have been done, though the whole Hermit's Hut side-plot thing was completely removed, as well as the effects those revelations has on Ellie.


Ellie is a phenomenal main character - she's just such a teenager, they all are. She's just your average girl, and that's what readers will appeal to, the fact that she's not entirely special - she has flaws, she can be stubborn and a bit all over the place, especially when her emotions are involved. She's totally kickass though and just values her family and friends so much that it's admirable how far she goes at times.

The enemies are never described, because this is first-person narrated and Ellie doesn't know herself. I can't wait to read the next one and see how things progress. All I know (from the chapter preview at the end of the 1st book) is that the gang go into hiding and then decide to go and (spoilers) bust Corrie and Kevin out of the hospital. It's going to get good!!

I wish there was something this big right now, that is literary and thought-provoking and appealing to the YA age group. I mean, for what I know, this was HUGE. At least in Australia. Now, we've got paranormal creatures and such, but nothing that really speaks to you. Or at least, to me.

I don't know. I'm just procrastinating. I've got an assignment due today at midnight (in 10 hours). I can get it done in 2-3, so I should be good. I actually cleaned my room, my level of dedication for putting off my assignment. And then on Monday I have my second (and last for the year) week of clinical placement. I'm getting sick of the hospital, actually. After that, on Friday, I'll be free to study for my exams. My uni is the only one that has the clinical placement BEFORE exams and results, which is pretty annoying. It would be nice to go to the hospital and not have the impending exams at the back of mind all the time...

[Read my semi-review on Goodreads]

Fan-song ~ Beautifully written
Lyrics I cant stand, this silence my heart is beating like a drum I used to, know how it felt to be, pure and young I close my eyes to erase these bloody hands but nothing can truly take away this pain i feel God, save my soul from destruction, this nightmare we're living a war Hope, is in our hands so forgive all my sins but i can't stop now We may have the freedom, but they've taken our lives away All thats left we fight back, until our last day (pre chorus) (chorus) Hold this gun to my head (get it over) Cause these thoughts i will never forget but when the day breaks i pray that tomorrow will come (Chorus) When this war began our lives had changed, We will rise from hell and live again x2 Forgive all my sins but i cant stop now
So I want to ask all of you:
HAVE YOU READ THE BOOKS? 
Which is your favourite in the series?
HAVE YOU WATCHED THE MOVIE? 
What did you think of it? Favourite scenes/moments?
~~~
When is the second film coming out? 
I implore you to go out, grab a copy of the movie somehow, or the books. See for yourself, support the film. It would be awesome if they could keep making them right up until the end.
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails