Tuesday, May 22, 2012

[Review] Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

(#1, The Cahill Witch Chronicles)
Born Wicked | Star Cursed
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Publication (dd/mm/yyyy): 25/01/2012
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 330
Source: For review
Violence | Sexual Content | Profanity

My Rating:
Satisfying Read


Summary:
Our mother was a witch too, but she hid it better.
I miss her.

To me, the magic feels like a curse. According to the Brothers, it’s devil-sent. Women who can do magic-they’re either mad or wicked. So I will do everything in my power to protect myself and my sisters. Even if it means giving up my life—and my true love.

Because if the Brothers discover our secret, we’re destined for the asylum, or prison... or death.
 
The Review:

(This is another short review. I did make notes on this one, but nothing much more than a few dot points.)


Jessica Spotswood delivers a beautiful paranormal-historical story that is, at its heart, about sisterhood. While the story moved at an alarmingly slow pace, I adored the protagonist Cate's devotion to her sisters in a time of peril, for they are witches. Once the main plot points are finally met, it will be a rush to the finish to find out where this leaves the sisters.



This book is not without some swoony romance scenes. I personally did not feel like either boy (yes, there's a love triangle thing going on here, kind of) felt real. They were 2-dimensional, kind of just love interests for love interest's sake, you know? That, however, did not make those romance scenes any less swoonworthy, I assure you. I personally can't even remember which boy was which, though that might just be due to the fact that I read this in January.

While the cast in general did not impact on me at all, I loved reading about Cate and her sisters. Tess in particular is just the most adorable thing! Cate has had to assume an almost parental role over her sisters since their mother died and their father is preoccupied. I could understand why she was so cautious while her sisters were reckless with using their magic. It was so fun seeing her character develop as she learns more about the prophecy and falls in love.

In Born Wicked, Cate comes across an age-old prophecy that involves 3 witch sisters and she wonders whether they might be those sisters. Although I wasn't spellbound by this book, I really want to know where this story is headed next, especially in relation to the prophecy and what it means for the girls. Even despite the rather lack-luster ending.

Quotes:

First lines: "Our mother was a witch, too, but she hid it better. I miss her. Not a single day goes by that I don't wish for her guidance. Especially about my sisters."

Favourites:
"We're witches, Cate. We were born that way. Magic isn't shameful, no matter what the Brothers would have us believe. It's a gift. I wish you would accept that."
(p. 16)
"I thought your father believed in educating his girls."
"Father believes in reading for edification, not enjoyment."
"Well, then, he and I will have to agree to disagree on that. What's the point of a book you can't enjoy?"
(p. 108)
Buy:

AUSTRALIA: Fishpond

INTERNATIONAL: Amazon || The Book Depository


Extras:



Other reviews:


Badass Bookie ~ "overall...a very engrossing debut."
Forget Me Not ~ 5/5 "an enthralling tale"
Nice Girls Read Books ~ 5/5 "A stunning read!"
Shirleyy's Bookshelf ~ 4.5/5 "[A] magnificent start to a series."
Alpha Reader ~ 4.5/5 "...wholly original and tantalizing."
Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me ~ 4.5/5 "You will just FALL. IN. LOVE."

Books With Bite ~ 5/5 "A worthy novel from start to finish."
Katie's Book Blog ~ 5/5 "...one of the strongest debuts I have read."
Tales of a Ravenous Reader ~ 5/5 "A spellbinding and intriguing story."
Book Cellar ~ 4/5 "...will simply captivate readers."
YA Book Queen ~ 4/5 "...will undoubtedly leave readers breathless."
Narratively Speaking ~ "...really took me by surprise."
Steph Su Reads ~ A negative review that is worth reading.



I have received this review copy in return for an honest review.

Related Posts with Thumbnails