Saturday, July 13, 2013

Top Ten Tu...Saturday (5): Books that scare me


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

It's not even Tuesday...and this is actually last week's topic, but I really really wanted to take part in this, add in my little list and send it off to the world. Ten is barely anything, but here's the top most freakishly long or ambitious or old or over-hyped or all the above titles that equate to my feeling the intimidated feelings. Mostly classics--big surprise there, am I right?


Top Ten Most Intimidating Books

  • Margaret Mitchell - Gone with the Wind
    • It's such a highly-revered American classic, plus it's massive!
  • George R.R. Martin - A Game of Thrones
    • Length, hype, epic.
  • Thomas Hardy - Tess of the D'Urbervilles
    • I had to read this for high school and only made it half-way. It was such a chore but now that I don't have to write an essay or overanalyse it I want to try it again (because people seem to like Hardy) but... memories.
  • Victor Hugo - Les Misérables
    •  It's lengthy, it's "intellectual", or at least highly descriptive and political and about the French Revolution of which I have a very limited knowledge base.
  • Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenina
    • Again, length. And I just want so badly to love it, but there are so many characters and I worry that it's going to lose me within the first 50 pages!
  • Any Stephen King novel
    • Surprisingly there are some titles of his that have gained my interest. 11/22/63, The Stand, Under the Dome... Ultimately I worry that I won't connect with his writing the way that lots of people seem to do.
  • Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
    • The subject content intimidates me quite a bit. But it also scares me just so fascinated I have become towards this title. Like, I really want to read this.
  • Emily Brontë - Wuthering Heights
    • It's like a forbidden star-crossed love gone wrong, right? I'm scared to read any Bronte to be honest, but this one...this one.
  • Any Charles Dickens other than A Christmas Carol
    • Loved A Christmas Carol. But Dickens is so horridly verbose... I want to read all of his novels eventually but I can't deny how intimidating the task is!
  • J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings series + The Hobbit
    •  Well, I fell asleep in the first ten minutes of the first movie (I know, it's sacrilege), so there's that. I won a box set a while back, I just have to muster the gusto to pick them up.

And because I'm incredibly lazy (and it's quite late as I type this) I won't leave Goodreads links. Because you all know these titles. You have to be illiterate to not know them, right? (Or at least not a reader, and then I would have to pose the question What are you doing here? Get yo' gluteus outta here!)


Hoo boy. I'm going to have nightmares tonight... the books are going to attack me!


Related Posts with Thumbnails