Sunday, July 9, 2017

[Book Tag] Harry Potter Spells Book Tag

Image source:


It's time for another book tag! Guys, there's just something about book tags that set the fire burning inside my heart. I love choosing books that correlate with each category and being reminded of how they have affected me. :)

The Harry Potter Spells Tag was created by TurtleSympathy on Youtube (since de-activated, it seems?), which has been picked up by jessethereader and co. I'll be tagging 5 people at the end, but if you want to do this one too, then do it! And let me know so I can come visit!


1. Expecto Patronum
A childhood book connected to good memories

{Review}

Hands down, this goes to Roald Dahl in general, but Matilda, specifically. I adored everything about this story, but I don't think it was until 2013 that I actually finally read the book! Matilda was one of like five films that I could and would re-watch regularly and not get bored or tired. It was full of humour and magic, as can only be achieved with the Dahl special touch; Matilda was inspirational for young girls and boys all the world over! Just love!


2. Expelliarmus
A book that took you by surprise

{Review}

I think there would have been at least 10 other books I could have chosen, but I had to give it to Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. This book, guys. If you haven't read it yet, you must. It tackles one of the most taboo topics ever - incestuous relationships - and somehow makes you feel everything. I finished the last page and was so chilled by the events that had transpired, it HAUNTED me. So yeah. This is a surprising read, to say the least.


3. Prior Incantato
The last book you read

{Review to come}
I've probably finished reading another book or two, but at the time of writing this post this is my last read. Night Swimming by Steph Bowe. #LoveOzYA This was such a lovely, quirky and feel-good coming-of-age contemporary YA novel that involved a girl named Kirby, her best friend Clancy, the new girl that's just moved in at their rural Australian town (that they both fall for), a pet goat named Stanley, crop circles, family drama and all other growing-up pains. The pages seemed to pass impossibly quickly. I loved it! 4/5 stars!


4. Alohamora
A book that introduced you to a genre you had not considered before

{Review}
I didn't even need to think about this one for a second! Graceling by Kristin Cashore was the very first high fantasy book that I ever tackled, all the way back in 2011, and I am so grateful that I picked up a copy when I did. Graceling hit all the right spots, and the rest of the series was just perfection for me, from start to finish. Filled with one of the most memorable cast of characters, magic, formidable villains and obstacles, and a beautifully lush world into which the author invited the reader. I was completely mystified and eternally changed from the experience!

5. Riddikulus
A funny book you've read

{Review}
Another one that I didn't need to think about. The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson is one of the silliest and funniest books that I have ever read. Think of it as: old man (who has climbed out the window and disappeared out of his nursing home on his 100th birthday) remembers his life as he gets into some pretty wacky scenarios. I just remember having a really good time reading this book, even though there were some slow parts too.


6. Sonorus
A book you think everybody should know about

{Review}
Any of Ruta Sepetys' books! Seriously. I think she is one of the most underappreciated and important historical fiction authors out there. I cannot sing enough praise about her books, and would strongly implore anyone to read Between Shades of Gray in specific. I find it so easy, effortless to slip into her narratives and feel this intense connection to the characters that she creates in her stories. I love her books more than I can possibly express!

7. Obliviate
A book or spoiler you would like to forget having read

{I did not even review this. Never.}

I was scouring through my read list until my brain finally clicked. Allegiant by Veronica Roth, the last book in the Divergent trilogy. I wish I could just forget about this book, remove it from existence. It has been 4 years since it was released back in 2013 and I. AM. STILL. NOT. OKAY. Even Insurgent was kind of eh, which is a shame because I thought that Divergent was like one of the best things ever. But yeah. Allegiant sucked. Big time.


8. Imperio
A book you had to read for school


{Review}
I adore Of Mice and Men, it is quite simply one of the most powerful and beautifully written stories about friendship, hardship, prejudice and sacrifice. How did John Steinbeck manage to write such an emotionally affecting narrative, clocking in at just over 100 pages? How?! Amazing! This was one of the few books I had to read during high school that I loved to pieces!


9. Crucio
A book that was painful to read

{Another book that I may never review.}

Kind of wish I could re-use Allegiant, but I'll choose another for the sake of variety. Let's go for another slightly controversial title: Cruel Beauty by Rossamund Hodge. Thank every God in existence that I chose to borrow this book from the library before I bought my own copy. The only positive that I could really award this book is the beautiful cover that attempts to alleviate the level of mediocrity found within. Maybe this series gets better. But I will never found out because I've since dumped this one in the trash pile. Not. For. Me.
My "review" on Goodreads: Well I suppose this was doomed from the start. I'm actually shocked by how much positive feedback this book has received. Unfortunately I really can't say anything positive about this book. The main character was whiny and indecisive, selfish and easily manipulated; the love interest and weird love triangle thing going on - just what was that? The writing wasn't too bad but there was a lot of dead space, and the dialogue and decisions that the characters made didn't feel authentic or realistic. The mythology that Hodge included was pretty cool, but the whole plot felt all over the place that I'm not even sure what was to be gained from knowing all of those things. Just. Eh. I don't even know why so many people loved this book.


10. Avada Kedavra
A book that could kill

{Review}
Fudge-pops. This book. Holy crap, what a ride! I remember falling, literally falling, absorbed into this world. I was enchanted by this book. I can totally see this series completely ruining someone's life as they fall under Laini Taylor's spell. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is really freaking amazing, it was like crack!


11. Accio
A book you'd always like to have with you

{Review}

Let's mention my absolute favourite book of all time: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (though Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle comes in at a close second). All the warm fuzzies! If I'm in a bad mood, I think I could just flick to any page and instantly feel uplifted. This book is all kinds of beautiful, and just thinking of it warms up my soul. I love this book to my very core. Quite possibly the quickest way to earn my distrust would be to hate on this book. It is life source: a love letter to education, reading and growing up.




I shall, on this blessed day, henceforth tag the following bloggers:



Related Posts with Thumbnails