Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Recommendations for the Verse Novel-Averse


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. Every week a new topic is chosen, and I love answering questions so I'm going to try and post regularly. :)


Top Ten Book Recommendations for the Verse Novel-Averse

This week marks the first week back from the The Broke and the Bookish break away from Top Ten! In solidarity, I myself took a little break from it too. (That, and I'm too lazy to think of my own topics!)

For this one, it's sort of a free-for-all. I chose to recommend some amazing verse novels that I would throw into the unsuspecting arms of those who are hesitant to read verse novels. Moar verse novels, I say! Moar!!!!!


Tough subject content

  • Under the Mesquite || Guadalupe Garcia McCall [x]
  • We Come Apart || Sarah Crossan & Brian Conaghan [x]
  • Crank || Ellen Hopkins [x]
  • Because I Am Furniture || Thalia Chaltas [x]

From cancer and family, to racism, to drug abuse, to domestic abuse. These four books managed to deliver such tough subject content in poignant and meaningful verse, beautiful yet powerful at the same time. Not always easy to read, but deeply important stories!



For the feels
  • The Day Before || Lisa Schroeder [x]
  • Chasing Brooklyn || Lisa Schroeder [x]
  • One || Sarah Crossan [x]
My heart breaks when I see these book covers, even. Especially One. I still don't think I'm over that one.



Poetic books

  • The Lover's Dictionary || David Levithan [x]
  • The Sky is Everywhere || Jandy Nelson [x]
  • Wintergirls || Laurie Halse Anderson [x]
These ones aren't technically verse novels, but they all have poems, or are poetic on their own, each were largely powerful and affecting.


Q: Have you read any of these books? Have you read many verse novels? Are there any you would recommend? Or, if you're verse-averse, why exactly do you avoid verse novels?


Related Posts with Thumbnails